AOU finds new drill target - so good they decide to drill it immediately
We invested in Auroch Minerals (ASX:AOU) for exposure to a large nickel discovery.
AOU is currently exploring for nickel underneath and around a historically producing nickel mine. We invested in AOU at 20c.
🚨 Today AOU announced it has uncovered a very high priority drill target that it intends to drill test immediately.
This decision to instantly drill this new target was based on the target’s size, strength and location.
We chose to invest in AOU after it acquired an 80% stake in a historical WA nickel mine, and it’s currently drilling to expand its nickel resource next to and below the existing nickel.
AOU’s historic nickel mine was one of the highest grade nickel mines in Australia.
The nickel mine stopped producing back in 1987 when the nickel price dropped to below US$4,000/tonne - this is not the case now.
Nickel is currently trading at around US$18,500 per tonne, almost doubling since March 2020.
AOU is currently drilling AROUND the historical mine and the next phase is to drill UNDER it, which is the exciting part for us...
BUT.. today AOU found a new drill target that they felt was so good they have decided to drill it immediately.
Today's News: Why we think AOU wants to drill new target asap
Here is why this newly identified target looks very promising to us:
- All the right ingredients for massive nickel sulphides.
- Highly conductive - typical of well developed massive to semi-massive nickel sulphide mineralisation.
- 120m wide.
- Shallow - only ~ 60m below surface.
- 1.8km south of high grade Nepean nickel mine - to us it looks close enough to be related to Nepean and far enough away to be an independent new vein / mine if it is in fact nickel sulphide.
AOU is going to immediately drill test this target, and will be poking three RC drill holes ranging between 150-250m in depth in the coming days.
This drilling will lead into the Nepean Deeps drill programme, which is scheduled to begin later this month - this is a major catalyst for AOU.
AOU is also currently awaiting results for the recent RC programme at its Leinster Nickel Project.
So - plenty of newsflow coming for AOU in the coming weeks.
Here is why we like AOU:
- WA nickel could be highly sought after if BHP and Tesla are seeking nickel in the state.
- Nickel is going to play a key part in EV batteries for the coming decades - we are bullish on the long term nickel price.
- AOU is aiming to unlock a much larger nickel resource below/along strike to an old nickel mine. This has happened before in WA – Western Areas is the case study here, and shareholders were hugely rewarded.
- AOU continues to deliver impressive drill results, confirming thick, high grade nickel at shallow depths at its historical nickel mine.
- AOU has a number of options that exercise at 10c that have been converting into shares over recent months. This is good in that it brings funds into the company without having to tap the broader market, however it is worth noting that this can also soften upward momentum in the share price.
- End of Financial year tax loss selling pressure has been lifted
- AOU is aiming to build over 100kt of nickel resources, and has multiple nickel exploration projects - we like the scale of the company’s goal.
What to expect next
- Drilling of new high priority target: RC drilling to start later this week
- Assay and DHEM results from regional RC drilling campaign: Coming weeks
- Nepean Deeps drill programme: Scheduled to begin later this month.
- Results for the recent RC programme: Results from the Leinster Nickel Project are likely imminent.
General Information Only
S3 Consortium Pty Ltd (S3, ‘we’, ‘us’, ‘our’) (CAR No. 433913) is a corporate authorised representative of LeMessurier Securities Pty Ltd (AFSL No. 296877). The information contained in this article is general information and is for informational purposes only. Any advice is general advice only. Any advice contained in this article does not constitute personal advice and S3 has not taken into consideration your personal objectives, financial situation or needs. Please seek your own independent professional advice before making any financial investment decision. Those persons acting upon information contained in this article do so entirely at their own risk.
Conflicts of Interest Notice
S3 and its associated entities may hold investments in companies featured in its articles, including through being paid in the securities of the companies we provide commentary on. We disclose the securities held in relation to a particular company that we provide commentary on. Refer to our Disclosure Policy for information on our self-imposed trading blackouts, hold conditions and de-risking (sell conditions) which seek to mitigate against any potential conflicts of interest.
Publication Notice and Disclaimer
The information contained in this article is current as at the publication date. At the time of publishing, the information contained in this article is based on sources which are available in the public domain that we consider to be reliable, and our own analysis of those sources. The views of the author may not reflect the views of the AFSL holder. Any decision by you to purchase securities in the companies featured in this article should be done so after you have sought your own independent professional advice regarding this information and made your own inquiries as to the validity of any information in this article.
Any forward-looking statements contained in this article are not guarantees or predictions of future performance, and involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors, many of which are beyond our control, and which may cause actual results or performance of companies featured to differ materially from those expressed in the statements contained in this article. S3 cannot and does not give any assurance that the results or performance expressed or implied by any forward-looking statements contained in this article will actually occur and readers are cautioned not to put undue reliance on forward-looking statements.
This article may include references to our past investing performance. Past performance is not a reliable indicator of our future investing performance.